Tow Bar

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:41 am
by Lisajk (deleted)

Hi, could someone give me advice on which tow bar to get for a Puck. Should we get a stabiliser?
We have a Honda FRV but wasn't sure which one to get. We've found a company that can hit them but don't want to be given the hard sell.
Should we get a lock too?

Scroll up

RE: Tow Bar

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:54 am
by hob (deleted)

Electric connections between caravan and car are either 2 x 7 pin plugs or 1 x 13 pin plug so maybe best to wait until you find a van and see what type it has, stabilisers are sometimes built into the caravan hitch, also a Puck is so light you probably won't need one anyway.

Forum moderator
Vauxhall Insignia Sri 1.8 petrol 2015 towing 2006 Triton 430 import
Ribski likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:27 am
by Ribski | 1.467 Posts

As Hob has said - I've a Puck L, not much bigger or heavier than a Puck and have not found a need for a stabiliser - a lot is down to how you load the van, I think !

I'd recommend a Hitch lock and Wheel Lock 'cause most Insurance Companies advise them !

likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:47 am
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.743 Posts

I would go for 13 pin electrics on the car every time. 13 pin is backwards compatible with the potentially less reliable twin socket set-up used on older caravans by using an adaptor, and if the van you get is already 13 pin everything will work straight away.

sf-T 33/7r
Poptop320, and like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:38 pm
by Lisajk (deleted)

Thanks for the reply... So the company I've contacted have offered standard tow ball or an alko towball - however the alko is an extra 35.00 more.
What's the difference?

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:15 pm

This is an AL-KO towball.

Towsure do an AL-KO type ball which is cheaper, and since they all have to meet stringent standards there's no reason to think it wouldn't be just as good as the kosher AL-KO job.

If it were me I think I might ask them how much the standard ball is, and enquire politely as to whether they might consider knocking that off the 35 notes extra they say the AL-KO one costs. You can get an AL-KO elsewhere for less than £35, and it's not as if they'd chuck the standard one in the bin, after all...

If you got an AL-KO (or an AL-KO type) you could use it for any kind of 50mm hitch, stabilised or not. You're covering all the bases for what should be a minimal outlay.

sf-T 33/7r

Last edited Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:52 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:30 pm
by Randa france | 13.168 Posts

I think this is a useful pic for comparing balls :-

Comparing-balls.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:54 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:38 pm

Quote: Randa france wrote in post #7

An excellent picture. Cracking balls

sf-T 33/7r
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:50 pm
by Wordspace (deleted)

Quote: Randa france wrote in post #7

You show me yours and I'll show you mine? Not likely! (I knew there was something wrong down there.)

Oliver's Twists at http://martynoliver.wordpress.com/
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:18 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.629 Posts

I had a Puck with no stabiliser, I never had any big issues with it even when we hit a diesel spillage on the motorway. It just did a little wiggle and straightened up again when I took my foot of the accelerator. Been devils advocate maybe if it had been fitted with a stabiliser would it have wiggled so much?
I have had ALKO stabilisers since on my Familia 320s and I like the extra safety that they give especially with it been a larger heavier van, I have never had any issues even with high winds or when the dreaded white van mans flies past at 80mph with the sideways drag........
I use a Witter detachable swan neck tow ball which is also compatible with the ALKO stabiliser.

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
Scroll up

Visitors
3 Members and 8 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12788 topics and 107409 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 3