Tyre Pressures

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:21 pm
by cabbie37 | 689 Posts

Just a quick question on the manual. I've looked though it as I have one in Dutch with my Troll and Dutch isn't my strong point.. Page 130, Section 13.6. Tyre pressure has seemingly low pressures stated. Although rather new to the Eriba world, am I right in thinking there was a time when Hymer incorrectly stated tyre pressures and they in fact should be a lot higher? I felt I should raise this just in case other 'newbies' might have been mis-led..

Scroll up

Tyre Pressures

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:25 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.822 Posts

Attached is the tyre pressure chart that Hymer provided when I raised the same question with them.

Pressions.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet

Last edited Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:01 pm | Scroll up

Tyre Pressures

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:28 pm
by eribanaut | 1.228 Posts

Unfortunately people don't realise that tyre pressures vary with tyre manufacturers, and what is right for one make of tyre is not always correct for another, this is the way to calculate the correct pressure for any given tyre / caravan / combination
http://caravanchronicles.com/guides/calc...r-your-caravan/
Dave

Eriba Triton 430 converted to a 418 ish 04 import tickling a Citroen C4 auto 1.6 Hdi

Last edited Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:31 pm | Scroll up

Tyre Pressures

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:59 pm

I'd be interested to know to what extent your calculated pressures differ from the Hymer table shown above.

Forum Administrator

Tyre Pressures

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:09 am
by eribanaut | 1.228 Posts

That depends on the tyre.
Dave

Eriba Triton 430 converted to a 418 ish 04 import tickling a Citroen C4 auto 1.6 Hdi
Scroll up

Tyre Pressures

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:31 am
by Randa france | 13.163 Posts

Quote: Aaron Calder wrote in post #4
I'd be interested to know to what extent your calculated pressures differ from the Hymer table shown above.

I did the calculation on ours last year Brian.

See this thread:- Another "Tyresome" Question... (2)

Randa

1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Tyre Pressures

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:36 am
by hob (deleted)

A word of caution at this stage, tyre pressures should be measured cold, towing increases the temp of the tyres which in turn increases the pressure.

My new car has those fancy tyre pressure gauges which read out on the dash, after a run up the dual carriageway tyre pressures displayed can be up to 4 psi higher than those when leaving home.

Forum moderator
Vauxhall Insignia Sri 1.8 petrol 2015 towing 2006 Triton 430 import
Scroll up

RE: Touring brochures in English

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:14 am

OK. I was simply asking for a worked example based on the tyres fitted to someone's own caravan to try to determine the scale of the potential difference between the calculated value and that recommended by Hymer and thereby consider any potential implications.

As this wasn't forthcoming, I decided to do it myself. My tyres are Tovo Teo Plus 195/70 R14 91H with a maximum load of 615Kg and a maximum pressure of 51psi (fitted by Automotive Leisure). My caravan has the uprated 1200Kg chassis.

According to Hymer's table, for a 1200Kg rated chassis and with a single axle, my tyres should be inflated to 3.1Bar or 45psi.

Using the calculation method in the link:

51/615 = 0.0829268292
0.0829268292 x 1200/2 = 49.756psi, say 50psi.

This gives a difference of 5psi between the two methods.

Now, bearing in mind Hob's comment that his tyre pressures rise by 4psi while towing, then Hymer's recommendation could be expected to give a maximum experienced inflation pressure of 49psi (which is below the maximum inflation pressure of the tyres) while the calculated figure would give rise to an experienced pressure of 53psi which is above the tyres' maximum figure.

The conclusion here would have to be that if I follow Hymer's advice then my caravan will be safe but were I to use the calculation method it could be potentially dangerous.

It is interesting to note that the footnote to the linked article states:

"This article is meant as guidance only. If you have any questions, or are unsure what your tyre pressures should be, your caravan manufacturer or local dealership will be able to advise you fully."

In view of this I shall continue to follow Hymer's advice.

Forum Administrator

RE: Tyre Pressures

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:19 am
by Deeps (deleted)

Quote: eribanaut wrote in post #3
this is the way to calculate the correct pressure for any given tyre / caravan / combination
http://caravanchronicles.com/guides/calc...r-your-caravan/

That's a useful link, Dave, but I can't help but wonder just how many forum members it will actually be of help too. What I mean is that when one takes into consideration that quite a few members have imported their vans which in all liklihood have got tyres with different markings. Unless the UK Importers of our Eribas specify that they be delivered with certain tyres, I would imagine that the latter applies to a lot of these vans too.

By way of example, our Triton 430 has tyre markings of 185 R 14 C L1 102 (with the C I believe denoting Commercial) with the handbook stating an inflation pressure of 3.3 bar.

I recall this subject being raised a while back now which prompted me to telephone Hymer who confirmed the pressures given in the handbook. So of course this beggars the question - 'who, or what source, does one actually believe'?

2013 Triton 430, Mazda CX-5 D-150, AWD AT, Walker Touring Plus awning, Isabella Shadow sun shade.
Scroll up

RE: Tyre Pressures

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:38 pm
by cabbie37 | 689 Posts

I suspect this thread was started by Aaron Calder who copied my original posting from another thread. Thanks for that, but it wasn't my intention to set any hares running! I had vague recollections of the whole tyre question thing and have looked back to find the calculation I did for the tyres on my Troll. I have 165 R 13 C tyres fitted (TYFOON Connexion - sic) with a load rating of 95/92 - That gives a load rating of between 630-670kg They are rated for a maximum pressure of 66psi. The weight of the van (laden) is 1000kg, shared between 2 tyres, so 1000/2 = 500. So the arithmetic is 500/670 x 66 which equals 48 - ie, 48 psi. Finally, 48 psi is 3.3 bar, so perhaps a little higher than stated in the table Aaron posted earlier. 3 bar is 43.5 psi.

I would have thought that tyres are universally marked (or at least, within the EU) but am happy to be proved wrong. I think it goes to prove that tyre pressures are much higher now, with the 'C' rated tyres than we might all have been used to... And the table Aaron has posted ain't far off...

Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 43 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12785 topics and 107386 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2