RE: Caravanner of the year

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:34 pm
by Eribanut | 2.026 Posts

I would think that the membership of CC will diminish this year due to the ridiculous program aired on TV.
We left some years ago and are really glad no longer associated with such an organisation

Sermo datur cunctis; animi sapientia paucis
Tempus fugit; carpe diem
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:53 pm
by Ribski | 1.467 Posts

I too hope total stupidity like that will not be reimbursed to him ! What a total $&@!* ! Make him pay !

If ever there was a reason to NOT join the CC - this is it !

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:32 pm
by Pop540 (deleted)

wonder if chairman took part in the cc towing course, before the program??

grabs coat

Eriba troll 540 2003 likes constant hugs, and buffs and the odd cuppa.
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:40 pm
by Tomored | 2.128 Posts

To be a good caravaner you need to have all your tin foods labels facing forwards in the locker. Well I saw It I going to nip out and do It now.

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:47 pm
by T & C (deleted)

It takes all sorts and which of us hasn't at sometime made a mess of reversing our Eriba or putting up an awning. These CC members were generous enough to do it for our entertainment - I quite enjoyed it.

ERIBA Puck L 230 pushing a Citroen C4 Picasso
Pepé Le Pew, and like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:52 am
by Bryn | 1.015 Posts

wonder what non caravanner's think??? they may give us more space now

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:16 am
by Aaron Calder | 3.824 Posts

I didn't see the whole of the programme but I have to say that I was rather surprised that the participants were hailed as aspirants for the title of 'Caravanners of the Year'.

I had expected to see some of the really slick performers that we all must have watched with envy on site as they perform wondrous feats of reversing and manoeuvring without resorting to the use of artificial aids like motor movers. I once watched with jaw-dropped wonder as a Dutch driver reversed his outfit at speed into a tight pitch unaided and with a look of nonchalance throughout while I faffed about engaging and disengaging my motor mover rollers. He redefined the expression 'pitch perfect'.

The contestants that I saw seemed an odd bunch and I can only wonder how they had been selected. What on earth was a very elderly woman with poor personal mobility doing wandering around behind a reversing caravan without a clue as to what she should have been doing? Why were team members who had never reversed a caravan even competing? Why were caravans pitched against a motorhome? Who gives a damn about specks of dirt under a car bonnet or anywhere else for that matter? And that clown's comments about food container labels convinced me that the whole production, however amusing or entertaining, did not reflect well on the CC and would expose its members (me included) to even more ridicule from non-caravanners.

On another topic, what was all that nonsense about the WW2 themed VW camper and Puck? So far as I'm aware the Type 2 Transporter emerged from the post-war reconstruction of the VW factory and the Puck wasn't produced until 1960. As a bit of fun it was OK but it must have confused a lot of people. A Cold War theme would have been more appropriate.

Whatever next? Someone is bound to come up with even more ludicrous ideas for entertainment such as competitive cake baking or talent shows for talentless people but that would be a step too far as nobody would be daft enough to watch them.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet

Ribski, , and Magpie like this post!
Last edited Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:39 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:48 pm
by Pop540 (deleted)

what ever next???
was depressed this morning by the cc, the magazine popped into the letter box and opening I was met with advertisements for special pensioners hearing aid and a funeral plan,!!!!
Do caravan club not realise some members are not of the age to need a pension?
there I thought caravanning kept you young active and added sparkle to life enabling a longer ingings.
more blue bin advert fodder..

Eriba troll 540 2003 likes constant hugs, and buffs and the odd cuppa.
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:11 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.743 Posts

I can't help feeling that those who have taken umbrage have also taken it just a whisker too seriously.

I got the distinct impression it was all meant to be a bit of fun.

Apparently the show was Sir Granville Grenville's idea, and I don't doubt for a minute that he was perfectly happy with the light-hearted approach it took. Like him or not, I don't think you could ever accuse him of being a gullible dimwit blissfully ignorant of an undercurrent of gentle lampoonery.

I couldn't help but think too that the Caravan Club was having a bit of laugh at itself, and self-deprecating humour is almost always a good thing, especially when it involves an organisation with a rather pompous up-its-own-backside reputation reinforced by jobsworth wardens and a largely stereotypical membership.

Could you really imagine that lining up all your baked bean tins eyes right was anything other than tongue in cheek? Really?

Good on you, Sir Granville.

yy-R56kh

, and like this post!
Last edited Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:12 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:36 pm
by Islay Corbel (deleted)

I agree. It can't possibly have been intended to be taken seriously. We thought it was quite a jolly. I loved the fact that other people can't reverse their caravans either. We've never even tried LOL We're pushers! Loved the Welshman and his wife (sausage!) and the other wives who had never driven before. Brave to do that on TV.

likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:39 am
by Clippie (deleted)

I did see the last 3/4 of the program as a result of channel surfing and I sat there somewhat totally gobsmacked with my mouth open with 'WTF' going through my mind. I even had a text off a motorhome owning friend asking if I was watching to which I replied 'WTF'. But to be far to the television company and producers they have achieved one of their objectives......just look at the number of posts on the subject on our little forum. Like it or not it appears we (in the caravaning world) are talking about it! I think the Guardian's on line review (http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/...back-the-tunnel) sums it up well. All in all, the rest of the world might see it as quaintly British; eccentric and quirky!

My humble views for what they are worth!

Clippe.

Gofer for 2014 Triton 420 GT & VW T5

likes this post!
Last edited Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:41 am | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:01 am
by Taffy (deleted)

I think if I manage to put my awning up in 45 mins I will be celebrating
it will have been a first time for me though in my defence!! as I have not set it up at all and have no instructions so that should be an interesting feet up moment and watch from another caravan!

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:47 pm
by rutts | 81 Posts

caravanner of the year ?? How on earth did the CC management let that go out? We saw about 10 mins of the 1st show after being phoned by a friend (who doesn't caravan) in hysterics about the show,she thought it was a skit on caravanning!! we tried again last nite with part 2 but gave up in embarrassment after a few minutes. I think that it only served to confirm the idea that most people have of caravanners & caravanning.

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:55 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.743 Posts

Quote: rutts wrote in post #28
How on earth did the CC management let that go out? .
It was CC management's idea.

yy-R56kh
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:12 pm
by Taffy (deleted)

If anyone saw the first episode of Bloomers, there were a few Caravaners that were typical of the urmmmm shall I say eccentric type that sometimes is portrayed.

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 18 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12787 topics and 107399 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0