Changing bulbs in awning light

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:40 pm
by hob (deleted)
Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

And changing the cover if needed.

My awning light has always had a crack in the cover and recently one of the bulbs failed too, I have always worried it would break altogether if I took it off so for 3 years I left well alone but with the bulb failing I decided it was time to act.

First thing was to order a new cover.

The old one
P1030688.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

At the time of ordering I could only find the grey coloured one but thought it would be ok, today I found both available

White
Werbung: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HYMER-ERIBA-MOTORHOME-CARAVAN-AWNING-LIGHT-LENS-WHITE-SURROUND-/171923834127?hash=item280775850f

Grey
Werbung: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171764685235?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

If anyone wants one.

To get the cover off there are 2 slots on the front that engage pins on the light and a lug that fits in a slot on the back

P1030691.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte) P1030690.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

So what's inside?
2 bulbs a reflector and a seal round the outside.

P1030692.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte) P1030693.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

A word about the bulbs they are G4 5 watt halogen, when replacing them some people are tempted to fit the G4 10 watt instead for a brighter light, this is a mistake as the bulbs get hot and bigger bulbs (wattage wise) get even hotter and have been known to damage the cover beyond repair.

So how does it look now?

P1030700.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

The following contents have been linked to this post:

Forum moderator
Vauxhall Insignia Sri 1.8 petrol 2015 towing 2006 Triton 430 import
and like this post!
Scroll up

RE: Changing bulbs in awning light

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:53 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.741 Posts

If you want brighter bulbs - and let's face it, the stock halogens are pretty weedy - get a pair of these.

They have the same warm glow as the originals, so there's none of this business of installing LEDs only to find that rather than being cosy and inviting, your van feels like a mobile DHSS office.

No buzzing, no flickering and they work on rough DC as well as AC.

And there's no danger of melting the plastic cover because they don't get hot.

yy-R56kh

Ribski, , and Williebraveheart like this post!
Last edited Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:47 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:13 pm
by highmiler | 367 Posts

This couldn't be more timely, I replaced my cover and can now achieve a brighter light with these LEDS, well done Hob and Pepe.

Highmiler.

Highmiler
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:25 pm
by Williebraveheart | 351 Posts

Same here. Have just ordered. Thank you.

Stewart

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:33 pm
by Randa france | 13.135 Posts

All very interesting. Unfortunately, the awning bulb on older vans is a 5w car tail light bulb (or is it a 21w offset? ). Anyway, can anyone advice on whether there's a solution for this one please? I've had a look around but can't find anything

Randa

1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:26 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:44 pm

Quote: Randa france wrote in post #5
All very interesting. Unfortunately, the awning bulb on older vans is a 5w car tail light bulb (or is it a 21w offset? ). Anyway, can anyone advice on whether there's a solution for this one please? I've had a look around but can't find anything
Someone might be able to advice (sic) if they knew which of the two bulb types it was...

yy-R56kh
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:03 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.815 Posts

This thread from 2014 may also be of interest: Awning light

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet

Last edited Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:26 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:32 pm
by Taffy (deleted)

Could anyone advise if there are any LED suitable for the interior. In my Triton I have 2 lights that are LED type and 2 that are halogen. I also get that flickering effect that you mention. Would like to replace them with something better lighting and LED.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:58 pm

Quote: Taffy wrote in post #8
Could anyone advise if there are any LED suitable for the interior. In my Triton I have 2 lights that are LED type and 2 that are halogen. I also get that flickering effect that you mention. Would like to replace them with something better lighting and LED.
You didn't say which bulbs you want to replace - is it the single spot bulbs, or the pair in the housings with the switches on the end?

Assuming it's the latter, as long as you replace them with LEDs which work on both AC and DC and are dimmable, you should be fine. Many of the really cheap LEDs don't incorporate the electronics needed to do that, which is why they buzz or flicker.

Being dimmable is effectively just another way of saying that they can cope with a variable voltage, because varying the voltage is pretty much all a dimmer does.

yy-R56kh

Last edited Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:59 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:18 am
by Taffy (deleted)

ohh yes, it's the spot lights that can swivel.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:18 am

Quote: Taffy wrote in post #10
ohh yes, it's the spot lights that can swivel.
Oops - I guessed wrong... :-(

I can't help you out with which specific bulbs you might consider because I haven't changed the spot bulbs in ours, but there are others who have, including Tony (Frantone) if I remember correctly.

I reckon I'd still be looking for AC/DC dimmables (the bulbs are GU10) if I needed some, just to cover all the bases.

It's probably worth searching 'GU10' in our search engine, too.

yy-R56kh
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:40 am

Quote: Pepé Le Pew wrote in post #6
Quote: Randa france wrote in post #5
Someone might be able to advice (sic) if they knew which of the two bulb types it was...

I'll have to wait until it stops raining before investigating further

Randa

Last edited Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:27 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:15 pm
by Ribski | 1.467 Posts

The 'bulb' in my Puck L awning light was a 'car type' bulb , which I changed for L.E.D. by using an adapter from bayonet fit single centre contact to the 'tower' L.E.D, which I think is a bi-pin.

I got these from Ultra Led's, on line. Unlike Hob's recent bad experience with them, I've always been pleased with their products and service over a few years now ! Maybe things have changed :(

Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:05 pm

Is this http://www.atenlighting.co.uk/boat-light...accessories?p=1 what you're talking about Martin?

Randa

Last edited Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:27 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:03 pm
by Ribski | 1.467 Posts

Yes,have had a chance to look at mine,pretty sure its the Ba15s to G4 adapter, which is the same as a standard single pin car tail light. ( Not the other one with 'off set' pins , which is for twin filament tail light/brake light!). So the right one,assuming your light is the same as mine ! ! You can then choose your 2 pin L.E.D. to suit - you may want to go for 'warm white' which is not too 'cold' like mine is :( so I put an amber filter in the light - but we don't use it much, 'cause our awnings all seem to cover it !

Hope this helps :)

Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 50 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12764 topics and 107221 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0