Reich mover on Troll GT530

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:23 pm
by Magpie | 674 Posts

Having just read the thread about having a Reich mover fitted on a Troll 542 I wonder if anyone has thoughts on one on a Troll 530 (2015). The mover was fitted by AL when the van was purchased. Recently the mover has seemed to be pushing unevenly, and slipping on the wheels, causing the 'van to slew somewhat, particularly on damp or uneven ground. It gave us a some problems when leaving the last grass pitch we stayed on. We had a mobile engineer to look at it today. He made a few adjustments after which it worked quite well on our flat, paved drive. He wrote on his invoice that the 'mover (was) fitted too close to tyres. Unable to adjust as no clearance on chassis'. He said that this was because there are various gas pipes and other things in the way on this model. It doesn't seem possible to fully extend the mover, so it can't get its full width on the tyre. Even when fully extended the green band does not appear. Does anyone have experience of a similar mover on a similar Troll, please? (A photo would be good). Thanks.
IMG_5076.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Last edited Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:26 pm | Scroll up

RE: Reich mover on Troll GT530

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:43 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.830 Posts

As shown on the picture, the roller has not been tightened against the tyre sufficiently.

You need to crank it until the green segment is, partially at least, showing.

It takes some effort to achieve this and it is difficult to achieve with the wheel brace supplied with the van.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet

Last edited Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:49 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:53 pm
by Magpie | 674 Posts

Thanks, but that's the point. This is a remote controlled mover. You shouldn't need to use the wheel brace to tighten it. The mobile engineer advised us to give the buttons on the remote control a few extra pushes to tighten the rollers as much as possible but the green band still doesn't appear. (I doubt if it would even if you were to use a wheel brace forcefully). What I am trying to find out is if the mover has been fitted wrongly or is the engineer right in saying that it is not possible to fit it with more clearance - on a 2015 Troll.

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:47 pm

I'm now confused as your picture shows what appears to be the exact same mover as is installed on our caravan, shown below with gaiter fitted.

P1010438.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

So far as I was aware, this model was only available as a manually connected and disconnected unit. I didn't know that it was possible to obtain a version that automatically sets itself against the tyre. You live and learn.

I have the installation and operating instructions for our mover and they are very confusing and contradictory as the pictures don't seem to agree with their written descriptions. Reference is made to wooden blocks supplied with the kit that are used to set the correct distance of the rollers from the inner edges of the tyres (15-20mm) which may help.

To use the mover, the rollers are turned onto the tyres using a 'crank handle or screw machine' the latter with a minimum spec of: speed 400-1400 U/min; 12 Volt; Torque 8 Nm min. I assume here that 'screw machine' refers to a cordless drill.

Perhaps our resident expert JohnE can shed light on this?

Forum Administrator

Last edited Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:48 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:31 pm
by Magpie | 674 Posts

Had to search for a picture - too dark to go outside and find the control. The lower buttons on the handset remotely engage the rollers onto the wheels. Can't see the green band when it is engaged. We never got a neat sock to keep it clean! I think this one has now been changed for a newer design. The sales invoice describes it as a ‘Reich compact auto engage motor mover’

Reich Move Control COMFORT SINGLE Axle Caravan MoverScan_20170823.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Last edited Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:39 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:04 pm

I made the gaiters myself. See here for details.

Forum Administrator
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:07 am
by JohnE (deleted)

With the mover fully disengaged, the distance between roller and tyre must be set to 20mm.

If set too close (as with Magpie's), the rollers will not be parallel to the tyre when engaged - they're slipping because the rollers aren't making contact across the full width of the tyre.

I had to modify the mountings to the mover I fitted recently on a Troll 542 because of a similar problem with the position of gas pipes, and I'm sure yours could be made to fit correctly, too.

Yes, Reich used to sell an auto-engagement system (called Motor Drive) as a retrofit to the Comfort - it wasn't particularly reliable, and when the thing packed in it was usually just taken off.

Markeriba likes this post!
Last edited Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:32 am | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:32 am
by chezmart | 186 Posts

Try lubricating all of the pivot points on the mover mechanism. The covers will probably need removing for access. I did this on our Reich mover as I could never fully engage it and once lubricated it was easy to get full movement.

2012 Troll 550 - BMW 220d Cabriolet
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:16 am
by Frantone (deleted)

Would the incorrect fitting also account for uneven tyre wear?
We have the same slipping as Magpie and a band of wear on each tyre.
On previous Eribas we always managed to use a mover to mount a small curb on our drive entrance but our current Troll needs help to climb it as the rollers slip.

Ours was also fitted by AL who, at the time, said they had a 'fitter' come in to do the work.

Troll gently nudging up against Galaxy.

Last edited Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:19 am | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:59 am
by Deeps (deleted)

Quote: JohnE wrote in post #7

I had to modify the mountings to the mover I fitted recently on a Troll 542 because of a similar problem with the position of gas pipes, and I'm sure yours could be made to fit correctly, too.

That agrees with what the techie had to say upon the fitting of our Reich Easydriver Pro 1.8 on our Troll 542 a few months back i.e. that he had to modify the fittings that Reich themselves supplied for the job despite the fact that they provide two types of mountings.

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:25 am

This thread and the recent ones on electric-flushing toilets and touch-operated interior lights confirm my belief that the KISS principle should continue to be applied to caravans in the interests of owner sanity.

Forum Administrator
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:16 am
by Magpie | 674 Posts

That's all very well but we would have the same problem with the mover even if it wasn't auto engage. We probably couldn't manage the Troll on some sites without a mover.

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:20 am
by Frantone (deleted)

I understand where you're coming from boss but we couldn't manage ours at home without the mover.

Troll gently nudging up against Galaxy.
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:38 pm

I wouldn't be without ours either, Tony, but all additional and often unnecessary complication makes maintenance and repair more difficult and much more expensive.

Why, for example, is an electric flush considered desirable when a manually operated one does the same job more reliably? Or touch-operated lights that operate erratically when those with a switch are either on or off? Far better if the manufacturers were to spend the extra cost on providing better internal woodwork and more substantial fittings.

So far as self-actuating movers are concerned though, if operating correctly they can save a lot of effort and frustration. I really have to strain with the effort of engaging the rollers with the wheelbrace on our van and I've watched with envy when WWB owners have simply pushed a button to do the same thing. The ones that impressed me most though were those that engage with a single stroke of an operating lever. As the lever is pulled, the mechanism goes 'over centre' and springs engage the rollers with the tyres with a satisfying clonk.

Forum Administrator
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:50 pm
by PhilipM | 208 Posts

Quote: Aaron Calder wrote in post #14
. I really have to strain with the effort of engaging the rollers with the wheelbrace on our van

As I've stated previously, I use a small Bosch 18v drill driver (maximum torque setting) with the drill attachment that can be bought from caravan dealers. It does the steadies and my Reich Move Control Comfort without any problems (both sides at the same time). The length was cut down so it does not wobble around too much. Just long enough to reach the steadies through the plastic faring. I can engage the rollers and raise the steadies swiftly and with no effort.

You need to be careful which one you buy. The end on this one looks like a socket.

drill.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Eriba Familia 310 owner.
Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 8 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12812 topics and 107578 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1