Front Bike Carrier

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:06 pm
by Eribanut | 2.026 Posts

Have just completed the front bike carrier Mk 2. The design was copied from details supplied by Mr Cauldron and was simple (well almost) to fit.
Total cost as follows

Bracket Plate £15,00
Paint £ 4.50
Nuts bolts Washers £ 2.80
Tow Ball £12.00
Thule xpress £50.00

Total £84.30
thumbnail_WP_20171014_12_28_33_Pro_LI.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)thumbnail_WP_20171014_12_28_46_Pro_LI.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Mk1

thumbnail_WP_20171014_15_15_19_Pro_LI.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)thumbnail_WP_20171014_15_15_33_Pro_LI.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Mk2

Sermo datur cunctis; animi sapientia paucis
Tempus fugit; carpe diem

, Aaron Calder and Keith and Sue like this post!
Last edited Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:08 pm | Scroll up

RE: Front Bike Carrier

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:44 pm
by Randa france | 13.186 Posts

Thule Xpress for 50 quid? Where did you get that? We've just paid £54.00 for a Thule Xpress 970 from Tredz and that was with a £5 voucher.

We only plan to use it on the back of the car for short trips now the car is full of seats and baby paraphernalia. We'll still carry the bikes in the car when touring.

One question. It's a great bit of kit and really hugs the tow ball when fitted. No straps back to the car however. Does it really stay put purely by gabbing the car by the balls?

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Eribanut likes this post!
Last edited Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:45 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:54 pm
by eribanaut | 1.228 Posts

Does it really stay put purely by gabbing the car by the balls?

Check to see if the headlight are watering

Citroen C4 auto 1.6 Hdi Troll 552 - 2005

Randa france likes this post!
Last edited Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:55 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:38 pm
by Eribanut | 2.026 Posts

Randa you should really have done a search on your own website methinks https://www.eribafolk.com/t376541f12-Bike-Carrier.html#msg46066 to find the best deals.

We had my leckie bike on the front with Sues on the back to balance the weight. Both bikes weigh about 23 kilos with battery removed. I fitted a bike cover to both bikes and found that although the spec for the Thule is 30kilos max the bike did move slightly backwards which was due to the cover reacting like a sail. I removed the cover it was then fine although I was concerned about the lateral movement of the bike which was more to do with the mounting bracket flexing. I have just replaced it with the solid bracket as Mr Calder fitted which is more substantial.

It does tend to make my balls squeak tho even after spraying them with lubricant

Sermo datur cunctis; animi sapientia paucis
Tempus fugit; carpe diem

Randa france likes this post!
Last edited Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:40 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:06 pm
by Deeps (deleted)

Quote: Randa france wrote in post #2

One question. It's a great bit of kit and really hugs the tow ball when fitted. No straps back to the car however. Does it really stay put purely by gabbing the car by the balls?

Good question, but with a maximum load capacity of 30kg with any one bike having a maximum of 15kg you're pretty much restricted in the choice of which bikes to hang on it; certainly two e-bikes are out of the question. There's also no method of locking the bikes to the carrier so any unattended breaks run the risk of the bikes taking a walk. Also, I gather that a separate light board is required for this carrier? Plus point of course is the price - can't get much cheaper than that which should suit a Welshman lol.

Although considerably more expensive we have the Uebler X21S which weighs in at 13kg and has a maximum bike weight allowance of 30kg on each rail. As both of us have e-bikes weighing roughly 23kg without battery the combined total on the towball comes in at 59kg (call it 60kg). Our towball is restricted to 88kg so there is a nice bit in reserve.

As far as covers go - that is a definite NO-NO according to our mounting instructions which I would imagine would apply to other makes as well. The drag created by covers increases greatly the risk of instability so along with anything else that is detachable e.g. bags etc need to be stowed in the car along with the batteries.

Last edited Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:27 pm | Scroll up

Visitors
3 Members and 8 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12809 topics and 107570 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 3