What's the pop-top like in cold weather?

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:15 pm
by malcolmnewell (deleted)

Hi there Eriba experts! A prospective Eriba owner here looking for some advice.
We're looking at replacing our old Abbey caravan with an Eriba, but one thing is worrying us and that's how cold it might get with the pop-top. Obviously there isn't much insulation from the material part, and we have been known to go touring in Scotland in May, when near zero temperatures are not unusual at night. My question is, are we worrying about nothing, is there a way round the problem, or is an Eriba best avoided when it's cold outside?
Thanks for any advice. Malc

Scroll up

RE: What's the pop-top like in cold weather?

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:35 pm
by Frantone (deleted)

Welcome Malc. We have used our Eribas all year round and often in snow. The 'canvas' pop up surround provides excellent weather protection and the inside becomes very cosy with the usual heating. The caravan body insulation is excellent and there are many Eribas used for winter holidays in Europe! The main problem when cold weather camping is more likely to be condensation than cold!
TonyP

Troll & Galaxy.

Last edited Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:36 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:43 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.834 Posts

First of all, to the forum.

We went to York in January last year and early March this year and kept the roof raised all the time.

We have the usual Truma gas heater (which we've never used) but rely instead on the Trumatic 2KW/1KW/500W electric element that I fitted as an extra. The blurb that comes with the Trumatic states that it is intended as 'supplementary' heating to be used in conjunction with the gas burner but we have never found it necessary to use both systems at the same time.

Our logic is that, as we have already paid for an electric hook up (EHU) in the price of the pitch, we might as well make full use of it so we leave it on the thermostat all the time in cold weather.

Despite outside temperatures of -5°C we manage to keep toasty warm using this method and towels hung in the washroom dry out quickly if the ducted air vent is left open.

Further to Tony's comment, we've found that condensation is drastically reduced if we leave a pop-top vent slightly open all night to allow the air to circulate.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet

Last edited Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:50 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:31 pm
by Agger (deleted)

and i hope you find the forum useful, helpful and friendly

We use ours all year round as well. We seldom put the roof down, except in high winds and / or really heavy rain. When on site we always use EHU and have a small oil filled radiator for when it is really cold. We like the fresh air so we enjoy the roof being up, it's even better if you can hear the sea or wildlife as well

We use good quality sleeping bags and are seldom cold, we put the radiator on a timer switch for those icy cold mornings. I have hardly used the Truma or even the hob, we use a steamer and an induction hotplate and we are well fed

With a previous van and in Germany we ranout of gas on a very cold -28 night, i went out in my twosie (pyjama's) to change the bottle, i came back in frozen stiff (i think it was the cold )

Take care and enjoy looking around the many Eriba variants

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:55 pm
by Steamdrivenandy (deleted)

We had two Trolls for a total of five years and never felt cold in them.

We even got snowed on three Easters ago and the weight of the snow on the pop-top caused one end to lower overnight against the strength of the springs. Interesting to wake up and walk to the end of the van and find your head gradually rubbing the ceiling more and more. Took a while for what had happened to sink in. Even that time we were toasty warm.

Like others the only time we've lowered the pop-top on purpose has been during howling gales where the lower profile helps stop the van rocking on its springs.

One thing you do need to be aware of is that you can hear things outside more easily than a non pop-top type of van and people outside can hear those inside too

Amber a Lunar Quasar 464 Sussex Amberley Sussex Caravans dealer special pushing a '59 reg. Kia Cee'd 3 SW 1.6 CRDi Automatic, a rough towing ratio of 86%.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:58 pm
by Pop540 (deleted)

if its too cold
or someone is breathing loudly
you can drop the top and open a far away window on vent to allow some air
weve been mostly toasty with no electric hookup and a blast of gas heater before switching off and retiring. we have awoken to frost on the outside, but didn't notice on inside.
I read somewhere a gent, made a insulation blanket to place inside round pop canvas from the silver insulating window stuff, not sure of the temperatures that required that to be done perhaps was belt and braces approach..

Eriba troll 540 likes constant hugs, and buffs and the odd cuppa.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:00 pm
by Pop540 (deleted)

forgot to add welcome to the forum

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:43 pm
by crow (deleted)

The Truma heater brings the temperature up quickly and we then maintain this
by switching over to an 800 watt oil filled radiator.
We try to go February to November as our caravanning year.
Our Danish friend Henning, fitted a self tailored fleece liner to the inside of the pop
top "canvas" There are several other mods that can be done.

Last edited Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:44 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:44 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.631 Posts

We have the top up most of the time and use the van up to late October when it can get very frosty, the top comes down in high winds or very heavy rain when the dripping off the top roof to the lower roof can get a bit noisy. We also use the built in electric element in the Truma gas fire and find it plenty warm enough. Also bear in mind that in summer it can get very bright inside the van early in the morning. We have eye masks so that it doesn't disturb us too early. I like the idea of insulating blind in the last post and has got me thinking

I like to pop my top when I go on holiday

Last edited Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:47 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:14 pm
by Randa france | 13.205 Posts

Hi Malc and welcome to the forum.

By sheer coincidence we have travelled into Kent today and are parked up alongside a VW Bay campervan and we were about to post this:-

Pop top heat retainer. We’re parked alongside a VW bay with pop top and they have just fitted a reflective heat retaining fabric to the outside of their roof.

This has given us an idea (which has probably already been thought of ).The material they are using looks like the reflective slightly padded material used for car windscreen sun shields. Therefore, in the case of the Eriba pop top, a long strip of this material would fit comfortably inside the poptop and tuck down behind the small upstand of the aluminium rim of the pop top.

Sourcing a suitable material? This is a job for our chief scrounger “Crow”.
(looks a bit like James Garner too )

Randa

1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:00 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:21 pm
by Frantone (deleted)

But why?
There is just no need for any extra insulation!

Troll & Galaxy.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:46 pm
by Randa france | 13.205 Posts

Quote: Frantone wrote in post #11
But why?

Dunno mate. Give us 5 minutes and I'll go and wake the VW owner up and ask him. He's a big bloke however so can I have your address in case he asks?

1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:01 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:52 pm
by Pop540 (deleted)

perhaps in campers case the bed is up top and it gets too warm in sun??

perhaps sourced from the motorhome window place that goes to all the shows, we have never needed
http://www.silverscreens.co.uk/
https://www.taylormade-covers.co.uk/
http://www.campervanconversion.co.uk/sho...rvan-insulation

Last edited Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:04 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:01 am
by Poptop320 | 2.631 Posts

Quote: Frantone wrote in post #11
But why?

For me it's to keep the daylight out early on a summers morning, I've just ordered a couple of those silver frost window screen covers. I will have a go at making the blinds and put some pictures on the forum...... if it works

I like to pop my top when I go on holiday
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:17 am
by crow (deleted)

That was Hennings original reason, to shut out the early morning sun.
a suitable and reasonably priced insulation is around £12 a roll, best
stuff would be the sort used on narrow boats to insulate the steel hull
it has a very high thermal efficiency and is quite thin. http://www.alububble.ie/

Last edited Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:22 am | Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 23 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12834 topics and 107698 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1