Drying wet walls

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:26 am
by Captain Calamity | 357 Posts

A leak at the rear of my van has resulted in very soggy insulation at the lower edge of one side of the main window. The van is now under cover with the window frame out (Travelworld garage).
I know may people have experienced this problem as a result of faulty window seals. The question I have is, how long should I leave the window out to allow the insulation to dry. I have seen posts on other forums suggesting panel removal and adding vents but this is a nearly new van and I’m not keen to start dismantling panels or drilling holes.
Travelworld will be keen to get me out of their garage quickly and I’d like to be a little better informed before I agree to an early collection.

Capn C

likes this post!
Scroll up

RE: Drying wet walls

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:29 am
by eribaMotters | 5.548 Posts

I would imagine Travelworld will only refit the window when the moisture readings they take are down to acceptable levels, so would not worry. At this time of year it is going to take a good while to dry out.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:56 pm
by Ray Lawrence | 671 Posts

I would have thought that window in and de-humidifier would have been a faster option, particularly in this very wet winter.

2007 Triton 430GT - Seat Ateca 1.4TSI petrol manual
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:22 pm

I'd imagine the window is being kept out as the panel has a vinyl skin on the habitation side and would not be able to breath and dry out effectively.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:20 pm
by Ray Lawrence | 671 Posts

Take your point about the vinyl covered panel. Having re-read your first post and the concern of the insulation being soggy then I cannot see the insulation drying out very quickly unless the vinyl clad panel is removed. How else can the moisture come out without heating or artificial moisture removal (de-humidifing). Perhaps the water ingress guarantee should require the replacement of the insulation and the panel.

2007 Triton 430GT - Seat Ateca 1.4TSI petrol manual
Eribanut likes this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:45 pm

If the board was in any way damaged or stained then it should be replaced. If it is not and the moisture levels are brought down [eventaually] to within limits, then as the framework is now I believe galvanised I don't see Hymer replacing board and insulation as they will say it is not necessary.

Colin

Scroll up

Visitors
3 Members and 398 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12833 topics and 107697 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 3