RE: Thermostatically controlled fridge cooling fans

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue May 13, 2014 10:50 am
by Tinkerbelle | 28 Posts

'98 Familia. Why?

Now that I'm being steered away from connecting to the transformer, I'm looking for the 12v supply to the fridge. As there's not much sign of the cable behind the fridge (and it's not pos to remove the worktop above the fridge), I'm thinking of pulling the 12v's rocker switch out of the panel above the fridge. Is it just a push/spring fit that I can prise away from the panel?

T'belle

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat May 17, 2014 11:51 am
by crow (deleted)

I was going to answer your query about fuses, if I could find the Eriba manual.pdf
for that year and layout.

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat May 17, 2014 11:58 am
by crow (deleted)

If you are using EHU's you could buy and fit a 12v regulated supply from Maplin
from £12 to £25 http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/maplin-6w-swit...er-supply-mg81c

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat May 17, 2014 4:43 pm

Yup, thanks, that's what I've done.

T'belle

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat May 17, 2014 6:37 pm
by crow (deleted)

Did you also pack your voids?

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat May 17, 2014 8:38 pm
by Eribanut | 2.026 Posts

Quote: Aaron Calder wrote in post #5
Aw, shucks, Guys! Thank you for the kind comments.

Warm beer on a hot day in the South of France was sufficient inspiration to get the soldering iron out and 'have a go' although I have to admit that I could probably have bought a ready-made system cheaper. Still it was fun building the kit and working out how to modify it. It brought back memories of building simple radios with my dad when I was a kid.

Ahh yes the old crystal sets, I remember them well.............i think ?

Sermo datur cunctis; animi sapientia paucis
Tempus fugit; carpe diem

Last edited Sat May 17, 2014 8:38 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat May 17, 2014 8:59 pm
by crow (deleted)
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun May 18, 2014 1:13 pm

>Did you also pack your voids?

Come, come, good Mr Crow, what kind of question is that to ask of a complete stranger?

T'belle

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun May 18, 2014 1:27 pm
by crow (deleted)

>Did you also pack your voids?

Come, come, good Mr Crow, what kind of question is that to ask of a complete stranger?

T'belle

Rod

Scroll up

RE: Fridge Fans again...

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:27 am
by Randa france | 13.205 Posts

After the problem we had with our fridge this year, I thought it was time to have a look at installing some fridge fans. However, all the techie stuff in this thread somewhat frightened me off. I no longer have the patience or competence to undertake such things. Once upon a time I would have enjoyed it.
Also, I see that not everyone swears by them and a number of Eribarists we've camped with just take the vents off when the weather gets hot.
One last point. Although most fan fans are confident that the fans should be fitted inside the top vent to draw the heat away from the fridge element, others are of the opinion that fans should be fitted in the bottom vent to push air into the back of the fridge.
I've used the above reasons as an excuse to take the easy way out and knock up a removable frame of fans. That way, the fans can either be fitted in the bottom or the top or used elsewhere if not needed for the fridge. At the moment I just plug them into the cigarette type socket that we have near the door of our van. However, after trialling this, I'll do a better job of the wiring when I decide that they work OK or I need to fix the fans permanently to the inside of the vents as others have done. All we need now is some hot weather.
The fans I've used are "Arctic F12TC (120mm dia) with sensor cables. Why three? Because three worked out to be just above a tenner so free delivery from Amazon. I was just going to keep one as a spare but found that three fitted the hole behind the vent almost perfectly.

IMG_1839.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte) IMG_1840.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Randa

1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:40 pm
by Ribski | 1.468 Posts

Just a query ! Aaron C mentions picking up the 12 volt supply from the fridge 12 volt DC input - I was under the impression that this is only live direct from the tow vehicle when running ? Am I wrong ?

Maybe the best 12 volt supply is either from the water pump/tap which should be near by, or from the 12 volt socket circuit ?

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:22 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.834 Posts

Quote: Ribski wrote in post #26
Just a query ! Aaron C mentions picking up the 12 volt supply from the fridge 12 volt DC input - I was under the impression that this is only live direct from the tow vehicle when running ? Am I wrong ?
(Oops! So I did. Thanks for pointing that out, Martin. I've edited the offending post.)

I used the 12V socket that in my van with end kitchen is above the fridge and easily accessible from the rear once the fridge worktop has been removed.

P1010906.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)
(The 12V socket I used is the black one to the right of the two fans - there's a white cable running across the back of it so it's partially hidden)

Just a question on the blow/suck debate, how many computer fans suck air into the casing to cool the contents? So far as I'm aware, they all blow hot air outward and, as hot air rises, the best place for the fans will be over the heat exchanger, i.e. in the top fridge ventilation opening.

With respect to the people encountered on camp sites who remove their fridge vents to improve cooling, the gain in ventilation area will surely be insufficient to make any appreciable difference to the fridge efficiency.

I also used high performance, ultra quiet fans that are practically inaudible when running. When used with a thermostatic switch, this allows the fans to switch on and off during a hot night without their sound being intrusive.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet

Last edited Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:54 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:02 pm
by Ribski | 1.468 Posts

Thanks Aaron - I hope to upgrade my fridge ventilation soon - I was most impressed when I witnessed your thermostatically controlled system (at the Summer Meet). It was surprising how much heat was 'blown ' out of the vents with it on - must help tremendously to cool the fridge :) so well worth doing ! I rather think that the sucking 'out' is the better solution to blowing "in" ! Either may work equally if the fans were in a sealed chamber, but in reality the space is an open void, so sucking heat from around the heat sink fins seems to me the way to go :)

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:57 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.834 Posts

Another thought, as the fridge is not sealed from the interior of the caravan, forcing air into the rear of it will inevitably lead to some hot air leaking into the van interior. Fitting the fans so that they discharge to the outside air via the top rear vent will prevent this from happening.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:38 pm
by Frantone (deleted)

It has been a long standing issue with fridge fitting in caravans and Motorhomes!
They are supposed to be sealed units but in many cases they are not fitted according to the manufacturers requirements.
The classic sign of a poor fitting is the warming of the worktop above the fridge. There should be some sort of baffle or deflector to direct heat out of the top vent and the whole unit ought to be sealed.

One thing I have notced is that the newer vans do not have a separate gas flue part of the top vent. There always used to be a removable portion of the vent at the right side where the gas exhaust fumes were directed through the vent. And when the winter covers were fitted they were shorter than the lower vent because the right hand side did not cover the gas flue. Now they are both the same which means that the top vent cover must prevent proper exhaust flow!

And another thing.......whereas in the last the top of the actual bas flue pointed straight out towards and through the top vent mine, at least, definitley points sideways.

Can anybody with a recent van check theirs to compare please???

image.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Troll gently nudging up against a Galaxy.
Scroll up

Visitors
3 Members and 399 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12833 topics and 107697 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 3