Thermostatically controlled fridge cooling fans

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu May 08, 2014 11:01 am
by Aaron Calder | 3.834 Posts

How to Fit Thermostatically Controlled Fridge Booster Fans in Your Eriba.

If you have ever used your Electrolux/Dometic fridge in high ambient temperatures, you will have noticed that it becomes less efficient when the temperature outside is above 25°C or so. One way of improving fridge performance is to fit a fan (or fans) to draw hot air from the fins at the rear of the fridge out via the upper external vent.

Fitting a simple ‘on/off’ fan is relatively simple but I wanted a control system that will turn itself on when the ambient temperature rises above a pre-set level and then turn itself off when it falls below it. This is how I did it.

Parts list: (Maplin part numbers quoted for on-line ordering)
Velleman thermostat kit MK 138 (RR51F)
2 x ultra-quiet 120 mm computer case fans (A90CJ)
1 x multicolour LED 5mm (YH75)
LED clip 5mm (YY40)
Box and Base (YN36)
IP65 Centre off switch (N20CL)
2 x In-line fuse holders (PC78)
2 x miniature 1K resistors (M1K)
20mm 1A fuses (GJ90) 10 pack
20mm 500mA fuses (GJ87) 10 pack
Wire; Heat-shrinkable insulation; Screw terminal blocks (sometimes called ‘chocolate box’ connectors)
Spade connectors (female)
‘Piggyback’ spade connectors (if needed)
Cable ties
(Total cost approximately £50)

Step 1 Build the thermostat kit

You will need a miniature soldering iron, solder, small screwdriver and a pair of side-cutters.
The kit comes with comprehensive, step-by-step assembly instructions and if you can use a soldering iron its construction should present no problems provided you pay attention to polarities when soldering the diodes, zener diode, electrolytic capacitors and the LED. Be sure also to install the integrated circuit (IC) socket and the IC itself with the notches in their correct positions.

When completed the underside of the printed circuit board (PCB) should look like this:

P1010889.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

P1010884.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Pre-installation bench-testing (it was at this stage that I realised the system was working ‘back-to-front’ and would need modification.)

Step 2 Modify the PCB

As this thermostat is normally used to control a heater in a fish tank, a chick incubator or similar application, it will operate your fans ‘the wrong way around’, i.e. the fans will come on when the temperature is below the set temperature and turn off when it is reached. To put this right you need to reverse the polarity at the part of the IC that operates the relay. (IC1D) To do this, cut two tracks on the PCB using a Stanley knife, remove small pieces of the copper strips and swap over the connections to pins 12 and 13 of the IC using small pieces of insulated wire (as shown below). Be sure to check that the circuit is working correctly at this stage before proceeding with the installation.

PCB TrackSide.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte) P1010894.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Step 3 Mount the components

How you mount your fan(s) will depend on what materials you have lying around and how much time and effort you want to put into the task. I simply used a 380mm x 146mm piece of 5mm plywood from which I cut two circular holes with a jigsaw. The fans are bolted to it and the ply is attached to the opening by four screws along its base and three cable ties at the top. The additional holes in the ply are to ensure air circulation by convection when the fans are not needed.

P1010906.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

I mounted my switch and LED into the aluminium front fascia of the fridge. To remove the fascia, pull off the fridge control knobs and undo the two screws. The switch shown below needs a 20mm x 30mm rectangular hole to be cut and the LED clip snaps into a 6.5mm diameter hole. To cut the hole, drill a series of small holes around the switch rectangle, remove the centre and file the edges smooth.

P1010901.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Step 4 Wire up the circuit

I mounted my thermostat into a plastic box drilling a couple of holes for the adjusting knob and relay LED and cutting an access slot for the cables. The thermostat was fitted behind the lower fridge grille and secured to an existing 240v cable with a cable tie. Access to the system fuses is gained from the outside of the caravan via the lower grille.

P1010905.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

I extended the leads on the thermistor and attached it to the outer edge of the lower grille with a cable tie so that it will respond to the external temperature and not to that at the rear of the fridge compartment.

P1010904.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

My 12v supply comes from a 12v socket (top left in the previous picture) using the piggyback spade connectors but you can use any convenient 12v supply.

Step 5 Test the installation

1. Check all wiring carefully before powering up the system. If there is no power, check whether any of the fuses in the BIP unit have blown (mine blew the brown 7.5A fuse a couple of times) and rectify the problem.
2. Turn the thermostat knob fully clockwise (30°C approx.)
3. Switch in central ‘off’ position: – thermostat LED off; panel LED off; fans not running.
4. Switch ‘on’ (position 1): - thermostat LED off; red panel LED on; fans running continuously
5. Switch ‘on’ (position 2): - thermostat LED off; green panel LED on; fans not running
6. Hold thermistor between your finger and thumb until relay switches on: - thermostat LED on; yellow panel LED on; fans running
7. Allow thermistor to cool: - fans switch off; thermostat LED off; green panel LED on
If your LEDs show the wrong colour (green/red instead of red/green) you can either leave things as they are or swap the connections to the LED to reverse them.

Step 6 Enjoy COLD beers on a hot campsite!

Detailed instructions for this are not required.

Possible modifications

The temperature range of the thermistor can be altered by changing the value of R6 on the thermostat PCB so it should be possible to have the thermostat respond to the temperature either of the fridge fins themselves or to the air temperature to the rear of the fridge. This would require further calculation and experimentation to determine the desired operating temperature range, appropriate resistor value and optimum thermistor placement.

Acknowledgements

Sincere thanks to John England Neston Caravan Services for developing such a simple and elegant circuit.

FanControllerRev4.0.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet
Scroll up

RE: Thermostatically controlled fridge cooling fans

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu May 08, 2014 12:52 pm
by crow (deleted)
Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

Nice one again Mr Cauldron, you do a very nice job with these articles.

For them as is not technically minded there are a number of ready made
fan kits on the market, including a twin fan set up Werbung: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VENTO-ELECTRON...n-/181248939341
There are single thermostatic fans from Thetford, Reich and others.
I used a 120mm computer fan mounted on clear plastic to act as an
extractor. It was mounted to fill the triangular vent above the hob and
ran off the 12v supply in the end of the nearby light fitting.
The bigger the fan dia. the quieter it will run. I will be looking at these
solar powered jobs in the near future
Werbung: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/360927199...ff14=108&ff19=0
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=s...d+fans&_sacat=0

The following contents have been linked to this post:

Last edited Thu May 08, 2014 1:44 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu May 08, 2014 2:54 pm
by Pop540 (deleted)

nice

to be honest and technically minded, it is not something would personally attempt,
but enjoyed reading all the same.
well done

Eriba troll 540 likes constant hugs, and buffs and the odd cuppa.

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu May 08, 2014 4:19 pm
by hampshireman (deleted)

Nor me, it horrifies me to think about the attempt but it's well written yes.

My first railway painting and commission
Puck 225L pushing CMax 1.9TDI Ghia
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu May 08, 2014 4:48 pm

Aw, shucks, Guys! Thank you for the kind comments.

Warm beer on a hot day in the South of France was sufficient inspiration to get the soldering iron out and 'have a go' although I have to admit that I could probably have bought a ready-made system cheaper. Still it was fun building the kit and working out how to modify it. It brought back memories of building simple radios with my dad when I was a kid.

Forum Administrator

Last edited Thu May 08, 2014 6:35 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon May 12, 2014 6:50 pm
by Tinkerbelle | 28 Posts

Thank you for a nicely written up project - that reminded me to fit fridge fans before we head for France in June. I have to confess that I’ve opted for Crow’s suggestion - and bought the Vento unit. A couple of questions about wiring: do I take power from one of the 12V pins on the right-hand side of the “transformer” (see photo). What confuses me a little is that there are 14 pins (with 5 unused) and only 4 fuses (with what looks like another unused fuse port). And, do I simply earth it at the transformer?

Thanks, T’belle

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon May 12, 2014 7:21 pm

Just wire it into one of your 12v sockets like I did.

Forum Administrator

Last edited Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:57 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon May 12, 2014 8:45 pm
by crow (deleted)

Add a suitable blade fuse to your new supply preferably within 8"
www.vehicleproducts.co.uk

Last edited Mon May 12, 2014 8:46 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon May 12, 2014 10:08 pm

>Add a suitable blade fuse to your new supply preferably within 8"

Oh, how I wish I understood that.

T'belle

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue May 13, 2014 7:44 am
by crow (deleted)

For safety you should put a fuse in a power supply cable, as near to where it starts as possible,
so it will protect more of the circuit to reduce the risk of fire.
Left to Right;
Blade Fuse, Blade Fuse Holder, Wired Blade Fuse Holder (with protective cap)

Attached pictures:
No rights to view attachments. Only file names are shown. Register now!
 fbg-a.jpg Blade Fuse.jpg 
 fh430.jpg wired blade fuse holder with protective cap.jpg 
 fha14.jpg In Line Blade Fuse holder.jpg 

Last edited Tue May 13, 2014 7:47 am | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue May 13, 2014 8:08 am

Now we're cookin'. Must admit that, at my grand old age, I have NEVER seen an in-line blade fuse holder. Off, now, to Maplin.

(Aside: Any explanation as to the Eriba's 4 blade fuses for 9 (of 14) pins?)

And now, out of idle curiosity, making my 3rd attempt (following 2 failures) at posting a photo successfully.

T'belle

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue May 13, 2014 8:12 am

............ and the photo failed again.

"Attach file/Browse/Submit" doesn't work. Not clear to me where "Upload" fits in to the scheme of things: before "Submit"?

T'belle

Attached pictures:
No rights to view attachments. Only file names are shown. Register now!
 P1120095-1.JPG 

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue May 13, 2014 8:13 am

YES!!

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue May 13, 2014 9:08 am
by Agger (deleted)

Quote: Tinkerbelle wrote in post #13
YES!!

lol I remember a long time ago being in the same predicament

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue May 13, 2014 9:10 am
by crow (deleted)

What year/type is your Eriba

Scroll up

Visitors
3 Members and 20 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12833 topics and 107697 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 3