A few questions that could lead to enlightenment.

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jun 11, 2024 9:56 am
by Alyn Owen | 3 Posts

Hello, my first post so be gentle with me. I am about to enter my 70th year, retired and live in a conservation area. My last caravan was a 4 berth fixed bed, towed by an SUV and sold just as we entered lock down. We have, over the years, toured most of Europe and am not a novice. Started in the 1970’s on a motorcycle with a two man tent, then a car with a larger tent, then a camping trailer, then……I’m sure you are getting the picture …..bigger each time.
Fast forward to today, son is off at university…. And no longer interested in two weeks stuck in a field with the oldies. She who must be obeyed retires next year. I have traded the SUV for a Volvo V60 and i

Scroll up

RE: A few questions that could lead to enlightenment.

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jun 11, 2024 10:16 am
by Alyn Owen | 3 Posts

Oops didn’t mean to do that……..
Resuming where I left off….. I want a caravan again.

In order to use it fully it would have to be close to home so we can hitch up on a whim. But because we are attached to a listed building I can’t park it outside.
So it’s got to fit inside my garage which has a door 217cm high. My research indicates that my choice is limited to a puck. But I’m 6’4” and we have two dogs a German Short Haired Pointer and a Vizsla….. would we fit?

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jun 11, 2024 2:16 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.824 Posts

If you click on 'Picture Gallery' above you will see an album that shows layouts and dimensions. At 6'4" you will have difficulty sleeping other than diagonally on a double bed. I'm 6'0" and that's what I have to do to be comfortable in our Triton.

As for two dogs as well, the mind boggles. An awning to accommodate them would, in my opinion, be essential.

(We used to have two beagles before we started caravanning and I still gag at the smell of wet hounds. Rather you than me.)

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet
scouteralf, Simboc2004 and Alyn Owen like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jun 11, 2024 3:44 pm
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.169 Posts

Hi Alyn

I've just looked back at some Eriba docs that we got from Automotive Leisure when we bought our Troll 540 in 2016 and it shows that the overall height of the current models ( Familia, Triton & Troll) with the roof down are 226 cm.

I think the Pucks were between 198 & 2005 but I might be wrong

Good luck

MikeT

Alyn Owen likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jun 11, 2024 4:54 pm
by Islay | 299 Posts

Just to say

Triton 430 from 1998 and Renault Mégane.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jun 11, 2024 5:10 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.824 Posts

I've only just noticed how sad the cooker in the Puck diagrams looks.

Perhaps that large piece of fish in the cupboard has gone 'off'?

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet
Randa france, Simboc2004 and Alyn Owen like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jun 11, 2024 7:44 pm
by Randa france | 13.164 Posts

Yep. Remind me to cheer it up next week
R

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jun 12, 2024 6:25 am
by Simboc2004 | 749 Posts

to the Forum. My camping life has a very similar trajectory to you with constant "improvements" to the size, weight and complexity of the camping machinery, though I peaked (size-wise) much earlier at a twin axle Adria back in the early 90s... We hit on Eribas in the early 2000s and have stuck with Tritons ever since. I'm 6" and just manage to sleep across the 'van, but any taller and it would be impossible - we are tempted to move to a longways-bedded Troll, just to avoid the "climbing over" that I find my knees are very unhappy about now.

As to height of 'van - I would love to be able to keep ours in our garage, but it is about 3cm too tall and I have searched for other garages that would work (Ma-in-Law's etc., etc.), but they are all even lower. Our 2005 Triton (with 4 stud 13" wheels) is 2200 high "on the road" and I worked out that I could drop it by about 3cm if I swapped to alternative wheels just for storage, but it would be a real faff - and the suspension gets in the way of any further lowering. That would be my way of going, rather than a Puck though. I fear one would be just too small for you...

You'll need to find one to try out.

Poppy, our 2005 Eriba 430GT, leading our Volvo V70 astray...

Aaron Calder and Alyn Owen like this post!
Last edited Wed Jun 12, 2024 6:26 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jun 13, 2024 8:29 pm
by Inspecta_Gadget | 302 Posts

Hi Alyn, and welcome
I’m sure there was a post some time ago where someone put brake disks on the hubs instead of wheels so they could lower the height.
It’s a bit more invasive than letting the tyres down to get through the door but there might be something that works for you.
If I find the thread I’ll post the link here.
Steve

Hyundai i30 Estate pulling “Little Flo”, a Troll 530.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Jun 14, 2024 8:43 am
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.743 Posts

Quote: Inspecta_Gadget wrote in post #9
Hi Alyn, and welcome
I’m sure there was a post some time ago where someone put brake disks on the hubs instead of wheels so they could lower the height.
It’s a bit more invasive than letting the tyres down to get through the door but there might be something that works for you.

There are two threads that might help.

This one, and this one.

Simboc2004 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Jun 14, 2024 5:42 pm
by Steve and Debbie | 1.098 Posts

I had the same problem. The only caravan that will fit in my garage height was was the Puck. I have an up and over door which, when open, uses a lot of the available height beneath the door frame. If I was to get say a 310, I considered a rolling shutter door but when open that rolls up into a thick cylinder. This type of door looks like it might solve the problem. It doesn't roll up it slides along a rail, and when up, It looks as though it may give you maximum clearance I ie all the way to the top frame. You would have to measure it for yourself and maybe get an installer in to confirm it because I never did do it in the end.

Steve

side-mount-garage-door-openers.png - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jun 19, 2024 6:23 pm
by Old Rocker | 528 Posts

I changed my up and over to a wooden sideways opening to get my Troll in the garage

2022 Troll 530, Volvo XC60 2,4 R design

Now all he believes are his eyes, and his eyes they just tell him lies
Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 17 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12787 topics and 107399 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0