RE: inner tubes on 10 inch wheels yes or no ?

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:31 pm
by Randa france | 13.164 Posts

Great. Keep us posted. Always handy to know

1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:21 pm
by scooby puck (deleted)

Hi Randa the ebay guy has ordered me a set of genuine mefro rims at the right 100mm pcd and zero off set
the inner pressing pattern may differ slightly but that don't bother me I might fit some hub caps anyway
I should have them by the end of next week and only £55 for 3 including delivery I'll let you know what their
like when I get them
cheers phil

Pepé Le Pew and Randa france like this post!
Last edited Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:43 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:23 pm
by crow (deleted)

A very sensible move!

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:18 pm

Great news Phil. Glad you got it sorted. All we need now is a nice photo of Scooby Puck sporting her new boots
Randa

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:25 pm
by Citroeriba (deleted)

We had a seventies Puck (now have a Triton). It had tubeless tyres and one shredded on the M42. Luckily I had a spare. As soon as I got home I fitted new tyres and tubes. It is the only answer I would go for, the rims just do not seal well enough for tubeless and when the air goes out you are stuffed!

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:41 pm
by scooby puck (deleted)

Hi citroeriba so you had no peoblems with the inner tubes , how long did you run on them after you fitted them ?
and were the tubes fitted to tubeless tyres ?
also how do you know if it was the seal of the tyre and not just a puncture that shredded the tyre ?
Im new to caravans im more a classic vw bus guy so any info I can get is much appreciated
cheers scooby puck

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:35 am
by Wordspace (deleted)

I'm old enough to have been driving cars and vans in the 60s and 70s, and I'm certain that almost all wheels carried tubeless tyres, and most of them were mounted on steel rims since alloys were still rare. Yes, some people still chose to drive with innertubes, but they used a different cover than what was already the standard radial tubeless tyre. I can't imagine that Puck wheels from that period will be any the less capable of forming a seal than those used on contemporary cars. I agree that blowouts happen, but I'd say they're far more likely to be due to individual circumstances - road debris, pothole, bad finish on a "Friday-afternoon" rim - than on the fact of running tubeless on steel wheels. Finally, the tyre fitter ought to be able to make a judgement about the seal quality when he fits the tyre. It is his job, after all.

Olivers Twists at http://martynoliver.wordpress.com/
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:57 am

Presumably, the new wheels you've ordered Phil, will be suitable for tubeless tyres whereas it would appear that your old wheels were not?
Randa

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:11 pm
by scooby puck (deleted)

Hi Randa I hope so, ive asked the ebay seller but not heard any thing yet
fingers crossed they do, by the way my pucks picture is all ready in the vw pictures
section it's the pouges puck kool classics had, jen finner the lead guitarist owned it
And it was an art thing at tatton park for a year in 2012 I think
cheers scooby puck

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:42 pm

Hi Phil. here she is. I remember Claire telling us about her. I'm surprised she let her go... g48p566-westfalia-and-Pogue-puck.html#viewport
Randa

likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:31 pm
by Wordspace (deleted)
Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

There are some great pics on an old ebay listing, here: Werbung: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151247756880

The following contents have been linked to this post:

Olivers Twists at http://martynoliver.wordpress.com/
Ribski likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:40 am
by scooby puck (deleted)

Hi Randa yes thats the one, im hopping to start using it this summer if I can get the wheels sorted
cheers scooby puck

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:13 pm
by Citroeriba (deleted)

Had no problems after fitting tubes. Just found the receipt Oct 2006 for 450 x 10 hi/speed trailer tyres. Cannot recall the tyre type but imagine they were tubeless. They were still fitted when the Puck went to its new home with a friend in August 2014. Of course I don't know for sure it was not a puncture but my gut feeling (and that of the truck driver that flashed me and pulled up behind) is that the tyre suddenly deflated. I had not noticed at all but imagine I would have before long! Always use Citroens and although it was a ZX that time I also towed it with my 2cv saloon, 2cv van and Ami 6 estate. It is not uncommon for 2cvers to use tubes, although I don't. Now use a 2.2 C5 estate, it's a bit easier with the Triton!

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:02 pm
by scooby puck (deleted)

Thanks guys for all the info the ebay guy says the rims will be ok to run on tubeless
I also contacted kool classics and they said the same but I must fit caravan tyres
not car tyres, so my mini tyres are no good now, so if anyone needs a new pair of
10 inch mini tyres let me know
who would have thought getting new tyres would have been such a headache
Well at least I'll be safer now thanks again
cheers scooby split

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:07 pm

Quote: scooby puck wrote in post #29

I also contacted kool classics and they said the same but I must fit caravan tyres not car tyres, so my mini tyres are no good now

Hi Phil. Because we are talking about 10" wheels there might be a different set of parameters and Kool Classics should know, but on most Eribas, car tyres are fine as long as they make the minimum load rating + 10% for the van they are fitted to.
On all tyres, there are a number of codes displayed including maximum tyre pressure and load/speed rating. The latter is displayed as a code on the tyre immediately behind the tyre size.
View this link.
You can see that in the example they use, the tyre will carry 615kg and a top speed of 130mph.
In the case of your Puck, I don't know what the maximum weight is but if we say for the sake of this discussion it is 500kg, then each tyre must take a load of 250 kg + 10% = 275kg. The chart used as an example doesn't go as low as 275kg but this one does and it shows our example as needing a load index of 63 or 64.
I'm no tyre expert but if your Mini tyres are good for the load, it's worth discussing it further with Kool Classics and the guy you bought the tyres off.
Do you know what the load rating was on your old tyres?
Randa
ps. The tyres shown in the photograph on the French forum link in post #12 are rated as 69S (see white label on them )

Last edited Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:23 pm | Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 7 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12787 topics and 107399 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0