inner tubes on 10 inch wheels yes or no ?

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:04 pm
by scooby puck (deleted)

Hi folks I hope you can help, my 1981 puck came with inner tubes on the 10 inch wheels, I have now got
a new set of tubeless tyres the wheels are a little rusty around the valve holes and the tyre fitter says to fit them
as they may not seal with out tubes others have said tubes on tubeless tires can cause blow outs as the inner
tyre surface is rough and can wear the tube through causing a blow out , the tyre fitter says modern tubes are designed to
be run on modern tyres and many new trailer's have inner tubes fitted and being only a 450 kg puck I would
be fine so my question is what do you classic puck owners have tubes or not ? And what tyre pressures do you
run them at
Cheers scooby puck

Last edited Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:36 pm | Scroll up

RE: inner tubes on 10 inch wheels yes or no ?

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:31 pm
by crow (deleted)

I would clean up and repaint the steel wheels rather than use tubes.
The modern tubless tyres are very rough inside and could chafe through
the inner tube resulting in instant air loss.

Last edited Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:31 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:59 pm
by scooby puck (deleted)

Thanks for the reply crow I think I will end up getting the rims shot blasted and re painted ,
I just want to be safe and do the right thing, the fitters say its the valve hole that might not
seal without tubes and one suggested welding it up and drilling a new hole on a non rusty
part these steel rims aren't available any more so I will have to get them restored some how
any way It still would be good to get other vintage eriba owners views if there are any on here
cheers scooby puck

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:07 pm
by Randa france | 13.164 Posts

Hi Scooby Puck and welcome to Eribafolk.
I wasn't sure of the answer but I knew a man who would help. Christophe from forumeribatouring has told me that the tyre pressures for 10" Puck wheels is 2.3 to 2.5bar.
Regarding the cleaning up of your existing wheels, I have just read that several French Classic Puck owners have chosen to buy new wheels. There are many UK companies that sell new 10" trailer/Caravan wheels but with the tyres included.
However I have just found these guys who might be of interest to you:- http://www.albatowing.co.uk/trailer-part...s/wheel-rims-10
Obviously you'd have to measure the PCD to ensure you get the correct wheel.
Regards
Randa

1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Pepé Le Pew and like this post!
Last edited Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:09 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:15 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.743 Posts

Quote: Randa france wrote in post #4
Regarding the cleaning up of your existing wheels, I have just read that several French Classic Puck owners have chosen to buy new wheels.
Without knowing the PCD and offset of the OP's 10" rims it looks as if a new pair wouldn't cost more than about twenty-odd quid apiece.

When you weigh up the possible consequences of a flat when you least want one, I reckon new rims - and no inner tubes - are the way to go.

And even more so when you take into account the time and effort (and paint) required to redo the old ones to the point at which you aren't worrying about whether you've done it well enough...

Last edited Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:49 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:09 pm
by scooby puck (deleted)

Thanks guys do I measure between two bolt hole centers for the pdc if so it's 70mm with a 60mm center hole for the axle shaft
the wheels have MEFRO stamped on them I think thats the manufacturer and 3.50 x 10 and the year 1980 the only other number
is 602800 may be a part number there dosnt seen to be any offset they are no deeper which ever side you look at so I don't know
what offset that would be called ? 0 may be ?

Can any one help me locate a new set ? Or what spec to ask for when getting new repro ones I just need pcd and correct offset
cheers scooby puck

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:18 pm

Quote: scooby puck wrote in post #6
Thanks guys do I measure between two bolt hole centers for the pdc if so it's 70mm

You measure between the centres of two diametrically opposite holes.

It's going to be at least 100mm.

If the mounting face is equidistant from both the inner and the outer edges of the rim then I reckon it's a zero offset too.

Last edited Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:20 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:44 pm
by scooby puck (deleted)

Thanks] i'lI re measure the opposite bolt holes then

cheers scooby puck

Last edited Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:49 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:29 pm

What size are your tyres Scooby?
Randa

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:35 pm
by scooby puck (deleted)

Right they are 100 mm between the bolt hole centers I can find some new mefro ones on ebay but there 4 inch
which is just over 100mm would they fit ? Or do I have to stick to 100mm its only 2 mm difference
cheers scooby puck

Last edited Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:49 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:38 pm
by scooby puck (deleted)

Hi Randa the tyres are 145- 80 -R 10
Cheers scooby puck

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:50 pm

PCD and Offset Diagrams:- http://www.wheelfitment.eu/what-is-the-PCD/

OK. I have just read that a French guy with a classic Puck with the same size tyres as yours has 10" wheels with 100 PCD and nil offset but please check it out.
There is a link on the French forum to a (obviously) French supplier
http://www.remorques-charnoud.fr/liste.p...ece&page=jantes
http://www.remorques-charnoud.fr/detail....ece&page=jantes
Here's the full thread.
Hope that helps.
Randa

Last edited Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:08 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:32 pm
by scooby puck (deleted)

Thanks Randa yes they are the same as the french guy 100mm pdc and zero offset , ive messaged the ebay seller
to see if he knows if the 4 inch pdc would be ok there isn't much difference the french ones look good but the ebay
ones are in the uk so I will see what they say first
meanwhile if any one else knows please let me know
cheers scooby puck

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:34 pm

Quote: scooby puck wrote in post #10
Right they are 100 mm between the bolt hole centers I can find some new mefro ones on ebay but there 4 inch
which is just over 100mm would they fit ? Or do I have to stick to 100mm its only 2 mm difference
cheers scooby puck
The impression I get is that it's close but not close enough.

I read somewhere that the measurements being so close often means that someone checking it will read it as 4" when it's actually 100mm, if you see what I mean.

Apparently the late lamented British Leyland changed from 4" to 100mm at some point back in the sixteenth century, and imperial PCD wheels are not interchangeable with metric ones.

It's made all the more confusing by the mixing of imperial and metric - a wheel with an overall diameter of 10" and a pitch circle diameter of 100mm doesn't make much sense.

Although the difference is a gnat's todger less than 2mm, that difference over 100mm isn't insignificant.

Last edited Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:56 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:51 pm
by scooby puck (deleted)

Hi your right not close enough the ebay guy says he may be able to get the right ones in with the melfro number
so we will have to see what happens
cheers scooby spliy

Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 12 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12787 topics and 107398 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1