Touch-operated lights on new vans

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:43 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.529 Posts

Am I the only one who is having problems with the round touch sensitive lights. Sometimes they work, sometimes they do not. Sometimes they have even given me a little surprise.I have gone out to the van and found one or two have come on by themselves or they are giving me a little flash.
Lowdhams have said they will accept a warranty claim [6/8 weeks processing time] and post me replacements on receipt of the faulty units.

Colin

Skoda Yeti diesel 2wd _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a new shiny 430

Last edited Fri May 12, 2017 7:35 pm | Scroll up

RE: touch operated lghts on new vans

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:40 pm
by PooleDweller | 753 Posts

I have had many problems with these lights in my 2015 430. For example - the steam from the boiling kettle turned the lights on/off/on/off. The central light above the main table would start to go on/off/on/off intermittently....... after it had been on for a while. Of the four touch sensitive lights 3 have been replaced, the fourth will be changed next week when its in for a service. The trouble is once they start flashing the only way to turn them off is to kill the 12V supply. So you flick the 12V kill switch, the lights are off, you switch the 12V supply on. Wonderful no flashing lights, so you don't touch the lights but sure enough at some point they will go on. Infuriating. But that's technology! Oh yes, the new lights seem to cure the problem.

2015 Eriba Triton 430GT pushing 2011 VW Golf Estate DSG 2L Diesel
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:02 pm

Good to know it is not me as the cause of the problem. And equally that the replacements are better than the original. I just need to work out how to get the original fttings off now. I believe the bezel around the outside is just a (stubborn) interference fit.

Colin

Skoda Yeti diesel 2wd _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a new shiny 430
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:28 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.630 Posts

Hi Colin, I have one which can be a bit temperamental

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:51 am

I could cope with the one but not six.
I had a look this morning and the over bed and bathroom units are an easy fit. They are similar in manner to the halogen down lighters we have in kitchens and bathrooms, with the two sprung metal arms on the back. A good spare length of cable also allows easy reconnection.
Front dinette and over kitchen I believe will be a problem. The units seem to be glued in place, and the cable appears tight.

Colin

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:15 am
by Poptop320 | 2.630 Posts

if you can live with it for the next twelve months get Lowdhams to do the awkward one on your next service..

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:30 am

First service is not due for 11 months and we have about 2 months of camping planned before then.
I have had another look at the surface mounted units and they do appear to be glued into place. If Lowdhams are happy for me to wreck them in order to remove them, and the new units come with the correct bullet terminals on the ends of the wires I should be fine.

Colin

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri May 12, 2017 10:39 am
by Biljul | 52 Posts

We have the same problem with our 2017 420GT the three flush LED lights turn on themselves----seems to be associated with cold or damp so can happen in the middle of the night.
Contacted Lowdhams last week who seemed unaware of problem (short term memory issue?). They said they will contact Hymer to see if it is a known problem and get back to me within 7 days.
Today is now 7 days and had not heard anything so I chased them up.

Bill
Latest is that they have contacted Hymer and it is a known problem and that replacements have been authorized although may not have been sent yet. They have promised to let me know.
Pretty poor customer service all round!

likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri May 12, 2017 3:31 pm

Bill,
I was originally going to fit my replacement lights myself as I did not welcome a 300+ mile return trip. Since the light issue I have however also had a problem with overhead lockers. It was a known problem a couple of years back that the carcase plywood was not up to the job of offering the hinge screws sufficient grip. This seems to have been resolved, but I have experienced problems with the screws into the locker doors/hatches. Nearly all the screws had worked loose, to the state that three doors need replacing. I can easily do this, but I am not going to, as I think this problem will continue.
I will eventually [post warranty] probably drill out and glue a length of dowel into each screw hole and then glue a screw into the dowel. This will then see me out.

Hymer have said this is not a problem, you just have to be careful how you open the lockers. If they are going to bother using such cheap hinges then perhaps they should have used better plywood, longer screws and ensured the csk holes in the hinges were large enough to take the screw head without them becoming hinge bound.

Please check your overhead locker doors/hatches.

Colin

Skoda Yeti diesel 2wd _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice new white 430.

Biljul likes this post!
Last edited Fri May 12, 2017 3:34 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri May 12, 2017 5:25 pm
by Deeps (deleted)

Quote: eribaMotters wrote in post #9
Bill,

Hymer have said this is not a problem.........

Colin

Yes, I raised this issue with my dealer during the recent fitting of the mover. Reply - better wood/hinges /screws being used now. Looks no different to our 2013 model so will be keeping a close eye on things.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri May 12, 2017 6:31 pm
by Magpie | 673 Posts

The touch lights over the sink and hob used to go out unexpectedly. AL said they thought they were too sensitive. One of the reading lights over the bed didn't work - gave only a faint light. Annoying but all fixed under warranty by AL at the first service. When the van was just coming out of warranty early this year we realised that the two rocker switches for the outside light were the wrong way round! Fixed by mobile service man and now OK.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri May 12, 2017 6:31 pm
by Biljul | 52 Posts

Hi Colin,

Thanks for the tip. We had a couple of hinges come loose on our recent trip to France. I put it down to normal "bedding in" . I will keep a closer eye on them.

Bill

Scroll up

RE: Touch-operated lights on new vans

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:36 am
by eribaista (deleted)

No you are not. We are experiencing the same issue. Four of the units have been replaced, two of which are still causing problems. I've moved them to different locations to confirm that is the light and not a supply/wiring issue. I've been trying to locate other suppliers as there is obviously a manufacturing problem with the Hymer-souced products but not had any luck thus far. It's a really frustrating irritation. I'm surprised that it is taking so long to resolve. Lowdhams don't seem to be connecting the dots as far as general awareness of the issue is concerned. AL knew about it but had no advice as to a sensible solution.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:55 pm
by pianosteve (deleted)

I should think Lowdhams do know about it alright. My under-warranty Troll was with them in January this year for a replacement water heater element and for a replacement touch-sensitive light over the rear bed area. They took my defective light and (allegedly) sent it off to Hymer so that the correct replacement could be obtained. Four or so weeks later they sent me a replacement (allegedly) light unit as I had happily said I would install it myself. Thing is the 'new' light unit still keeps coming on in the middle of the night and waking me up just like the 'original' one! (I think it must be the damp from my exhalations). Clearly the quality of these things is rotten.
So If you find a new supplier do please tell because I've now disconnected the ruddy thing in order to get some uninterrupted sleep!

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:57 pm

In anticipation of the replacement being equally poor, my next action will be for one of the touch sensitve reading lights to be fitted at the front of the van. These seem to work well. I would also remove the two units over the kitchen and replace with a 600mm long led switched light strip. The units in the bathroom could easily be replaced with switched units as the mounting panel has a void at the back sufficient for a seperate switch.
The thing is though, why should we have to find solutions to problems that should be resolved by manufacturer, or more to the point problems that should not have occured in the first place.

Colin

Skoda Yeti diesel 2wd _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice new white 430.
, , Eribanut, and Ribski like this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
4 Members and 10 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12809 topics and 107564 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 4