Venturing with dread into the dark zone!!!

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:50 pm
by Eribee (deleted)

Hi everyone,
This is our 5th year as Eribists (1999 Triton 420), previously we have always been wholly reliant on the site facilities and used the washroom for storage only but - supposing we eventually have some camping trips out this year we are planning to use the loo (for overnight no 1s only) . Hubby has already grabbed and played the "bad back" card so it will fall to me to carry out the requisite tasks associated with this change of policy. Is this likely to be as bad as I imagine or is it a straightforward task to empty the cassette and do whatever other tasks are necessary - any dire warnings or any other advice on this subject gratefully received

Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

RE: Venturing with dread into the dark zone!!!

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:14 pm
by Steve and Debbie | 1.101 Posts

We use a 14 litre bucket with lid. Pour it down the appropriate waste disposal point and there is usually a water hose there to rinse out. As usual I've no idea about your posh stuff though.

Puck 120 GT - Nissan Pulsar 1.5DCi
and Sulphurman like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:19 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.531 Posts

We moved to Elsan Green Organic for waste and flush tanksa a few years ago. This means you just carry one 2L bottle instead of two.
Only fill the waste tank with what you need for a few days, 4L should do the job usually, adapt as needed as you get the hang of things.
For the Elsan I use a small plastic bottle with a 150ml plus capacity, marked at 75ml and 150ml. 75ml doasage is fine for No1's. I also carry a 2L empty water bottle and find this the correct volumn of water for said No1's.
For night time visits of self, plus spouse sometimes, the waste tank will have spare capacity after 4/5 days and still smell fresh even in 30c temperatures. The weiight then starts to be an issue as it does get heavy.
A small bottle of pine disinfectant is worth carrying to wipe the seat and bowl down when you empty the loo.
Don't bother with special loo paper, just the normal stuff from home. When you empty the loo just rinse out a few times giving the tank and good shake and all should come out clean.
At the end of season I have now taken to descaling my waste tank with Killrock, then rinsing out and leaving a weak disinfectant solution in the bottom of the tank [my van is stored indoors away from frost over winter]

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

mr_underhill, Sulphurman, and SOULBLUESMAN68 like this post!
Last edited Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:41 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:46 am
by Ray Lawrence | 671 Posts

Two points to consider when emptying the waste tank. Put the large green cap well away from the disposal point. There must be hundreds of these caps in septic tanks around the campsites!

Flush the tank a couple of times with the hose provided but don't shake the cassette too rigorously. There is a float mechanism inside which is relatively easy to dislodge or even break. It's then a rather unpleasant job putting it back in place.

2007 Triton 430GT - Seat Ateca 1.4TSI petrol manual
Sulphurman, , highmiler and SOULBLUESMAN68 like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:38 am
by Sulphurman | 82 Posts

For our holiday booked for August we are planning to use the toilet tent and the potti exclusively, as the site (small, family run) has already said they won't be opening the showers or toilets. I'm hoping for the best but expecting the worst lol. However we've used the green stuff for 'overnights' before and can also recommend. Alcohol gel will be your friend, you never know what's been on that hose. Also, there's often an 'air inlet valve' to press as you empty.

(Verity &) Steve
Esther the Puck and Bianca the BMW. Esther's Instagram

likes this post!
Last edited Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:48 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:42 am
by Eribee (deleted)

Thank you all, the bucket and chuck it is the simplest approach for sure but we are going to try the washroom facilities, thanks Colin for all the information, hoping we can get camping soon

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:45 am
by Eribee (deleted)

Great tips from you all, such a wealth of experience on this forum

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:22 pm
by Steve and Debbie | 1.101 Posts

I wonder why showers and toilets pose a risk. I presume everyone washes their hands for 20 seconds in both, and normally you are on your own or at least with a close family member.

Steve (and Debbie 🚿)

Puck 120 GT - Nissan Pulsar 1.5DCi
eribaMotters, Sulphurman and like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:27 pm
by Sulphurman | 82 Posts

Quote: Steve and Debbie wrote in post #8

Steve (and Debbie 🚿)

(Verity &) Steve
Esther the Puck and Bianca the BMW. Esther's Instagram
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:48 pm
by Derekcbr (deleted)

One important thing to remember! When emptying your waste tank don’t forget to press the button at the end to let the air in. You don’t want any blow backs, by the way they’re not that heavy and if the tank has no wheels, a folding suit case carrier is ideal for transporting the tank and a waste water container. When you add your Elsan add a little water too.

likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:38 pm
by fishcultureman (deleted)

Thetford porta potti on the way for us. This is possibly the most unthrilling thing I've ever bought.

, , SOULBLUESMAN68 and like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:38 pm
by Eribee (deleted)

Yes, who would have thought that all of us "cool" Eriba campers would be reduced to such a prosaic subject. Very encouraged by this thread, planning to give the triton's facilities a plain water run with my son to make sure I know where everything goes and make sure everything is working before we go. Eriba camping is so good it makes up for the dark zone!!!

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:35 am
by Pip1136 | 68 Posts

If anyone wants portapotty we have three, all unused, all bought for Puck or trailer tent. One is bucket with lid and seat, one is Thetford cassette, one is using disposable bags. Manchester area. Free to anyone who wants them. Collect or you pay delivery.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:59 pm
by Ralph79 | 162 Posts

Ooh I would like the Thetford cassette, if it is still available! I have sent you a pm.

Ralph

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:41 pm
by Pip1136 | 68 Posts

It's yours ,have sent pm

Ralph79 and Eribanut like this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 15 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12810 topics and 107576 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1