How do I pull a new 12V cable to the front?

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun Apr 03, 2022 3:12 pm
by pooksmith (deleted)

Our new Rockabilly only has a single mains socket in the front dinette area.

I want to install some 12V powered USB sockets, and a 12V cigarette lighter socket in the same area under the front windows. We are often off grid and need to charge and power things from 12V / USB sockets.

There is no 12V supply in that area, so I'd like to pull a new cable from the CSV 409, over the wheel arch, behind the bathroom, under the dinette seat, and then up into the front window sill area to power the new sockets.

Is that possible?

Any tips on how to do it?

Scroll up

RE: How do I pull a new 12V cable to the front?

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun Apr 03, 2022 3:44 pm
by Steve and Debbie | 1.098 Posts

I would tap into the 12V Light circuit. On my older puck it runs in easily accesible trunking in the overhead lockers. Or you could replace your 12V light fittings with one that incudes the usb.

Steve

Puck 120 GT - Nissan Pulsar 1.5DCi
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun Apr 03, 2022 4:06 pm
by pooksmith (deleted)

Quote: Steve and Debbie wrote in post #2
I would tap into the 12V Light circuit. On my older puck it runs in easily accesible trunking in the overhead lockers. Or you could replace your 12V light fittings with one that incudes the usb.

Steve

Thanks Steve

I’ve toyed with that option but ruled it out on 2 counts;
> I really want the sockets on the window sill rather than overhead
> The lighting circuit is using wires that are not rated high enough - 4 USB sockets will draw up to 30W total, and the 12V socket will power a laptop charger which can draw up to 100W. That means more than 10 amps at 12V. To keep volt drop under control I’d like to use 1.5mm2 cable wired to a 15A fused circuit on the CSV 409

So that’s why I’m keen to pull a new cable

Steve and Debbie likes this post!
Last edited Sun Apr 03, 2022 4:08 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun Apr 03, 2022 4:13 pm
by JohnE (deleted)

As you are fitting the 12V accessories to the washroom side then yes you'll be able to route the cable as you've described.

The tricky bit is getting through the washroom and I usually feed the cable under the plastic cover under the toilet floor by the cassette's external access door.

Make sure you use a decent gauge double-insulated cable with a current carrying capacity of twice what the accessories require. I use 1.5mm twin core which will carry up to 20A.

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun Apr 03, 2022 4:21 pm
by pooksmith (deleted)

Thanks John
That was the answer I was hoping for :)

Does that mean if I remove the toilet cassette I can get better access? I’ll take a look.

Love this forum

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun Apr 03, 2022 4:38 pm
by JohnE (deleted)

Quote: pooksmith wrote in post #5
Does that mean if I remove the toilet cassette I can get better access?

Yes - with the cassette in place you'd really struggle to get any access.

But you'd find that out pretty sharpish once you get your eyeballs in there.

I should have mentioned in my previous post that a suitable cable is 1.5mm 2-core mains flex which you can get from Screwfix in 10m lengths.

And as the conductor sleeves are blue and brown you can adhere to Hymers wire colour convention of blue 12V, brown 0V.

and Nick like this post!
Last edited Sun Apr 03, 2022 4:56 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun Apr 03, 2022 4:47 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.504 Posts

Would it be bad practice to drop through the floor of the van and run it underneath in the black corrugated tubing for flex.The stuff that looks similar to the waste under the sinks, but obviously a lot smaller in diameter.
I know when I put an extra front socket on the window sill, opposite side of the van, I used it to sleeve my flex. I had to remove the aluminium table trim on the bulkhead and scrape out some of the polystyrene insulation so I could get the wire across. As it is bad practice for flex or cable to come into contact with polystyrene, hence the protection.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun Apr 03, 2022 4:55 pm
by JohnE (deleted)

Not bad practice, Colin - but a lot more effort.

I have had to route cables in convoluted ducting underneath the van if going across to the opposite side, but prefer to keep cable indoors where possible.

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun Apr 03, 2022 5:05 pm
by Stevejoyce (deleted)

Also dont forget most usb sockets are illuminated so you need to be careful where you put them or fit a switch.

Triton 420 towed by a Ford Kuga 2.0 TDCi
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun Apr 03, 2022 5:10 pm
by pooksmith (deleted)

Quote: Stevejoyce wrote in post #9
Also dont forget most usb sockets are illuminated so you need to be careful where you put them or fit a switch.

Good point.

Yes I plan to fit a switch (also to avoid current drain when not in use).

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun Apr 03, 2022 5:13 pm
by pooksmith (deleted)

Quote: JohnE wrote in post #8
Not bad practice, Colin - but a lot more effort.

I have had to route cables in convoluted ducting underneath the van if going across to the opposite side, but prefer to keep cable indoors where possible.

This confirms my assumption that it’s not straightforward to route cable to the offside front.

I’ll fit all my sockets in a line on the near side.

I’ve ordered them from Clearcut Conversions who sell the CBE stuff with frames to match the current Eriba style ones.

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun Apr 03, 2022 5:19 pm
by Nick | 19 Posts

'And as the conductor sleeves are blue and brown you can adhere to Hymers wire colour convention of blue 12V, brown 0V.'

Well that is a vital piece of info that will be VERY useful to this newbie in future. Thanks for mentioning it.

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:19 am
by pooksmith (deleted)

I'm planning to install these extra sockets next weekend. I have a 53mm hole saw, but I confess I'm anxious about how easy it is to drill these holes without causing damage!!!

I'll be drilling 6 holes. 2 in the side of the wardrobe over the bed. 4 in the nice white glossy window sill at the front.

Has anyone done this and have any advice? I will do a test hole on some scrap material, but not sure what else I can do to minimise risk?

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:28 am
by eribaMotters | 5.504 Posts

When built they part drill from underneath extra holes in the front sill and if you run your hand underneath you should be able to feel one of these next to the existing socket. I'd go through the centre/pilot hole from underneath with a 6.35 [1/4"] drill so you can then do the 53mm hole from the top.
When I did mine I found I had to use a shallow hole saw and an angle drive drill. As you are further along you may be OK
When I put a hole through the plywood cabinetry in other places I could not manage to get zero breakout on the reverse. You could try double sided tape and a sacrificial piece of ply, better still deep throat quick grip clamps if you have them.

21 - extra front window ledge socket-800.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Last edited Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:31 am | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Apr 04, 2022 12:57 pm
by JohnE (deleted)

Quote: pooksmith wrote in post #13
Has anyone done this and have any advice?
Hi Steve, I do so many of these CBE installations, to speed things up and get the alignment right if installing doubles and trebles I made up a template which makes life much easier.

I also use CBE alignment spacers which clip between the accessories to get the spacing right.

CBE Template.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

If you think they may help and you'd like to borrow them I could post them in a Jiffy bag to you.

granddadgrape likes this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
3 Members and 16 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12787 topics and 107394 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 3