Cleaning and re-proofing pop-top canvas

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:21 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.785 Posts

I've just been re-reading Agger's thread on removing, cleaning and re-proofing his pop-top canvas see here as mine could now do to be re-proofed.

In the thread Crow stressed that Fabsil is not suitable for the task and the consensus of opinion seems to be only to use a 303 product recommended by Sunbrella. Can anyone explain why?

I clean and re-proof the fabric of my convertible twice a year with Renovo Soft Top Fabric Cleaner and Ultraproofer and have always been satisfied with the end result. Renovo This prompts me to ask whether there is any valid reason why I shouldn't use the same products on the Eriba?

Comments, anyone?

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet

likes this post!
Last edited Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:45 pm | Scroll up

RE: Cleaning and re-proofing pop-top canvas

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:52 pm
by Agger (deleted)

Hi Brian, I did mention somewhere, but probably not in the "removal"thread😯 that when we were at Baltic Wharf Bristol earlier this year, I popped into several "sail makers" there is a glut of them within walking distance of the site as it is basically a dockyard. I asked if they could manufacture a new canvas, yes they could, I also asked what they would re proof the Sunbrella fabric with (they had this in stock and I could of chosen from a swatch of colours) I was told by more than 1 "fabsil"

I know some on here disagree, but it's what I was told by people who make a living from it!

I already had some 303 so I used that, I got it from zizi pools (i think) in Bournemouth. I used a full 32oz bottle BUT I did do a good job , inside and out. Hope that helps😎🙋

Likes to wax and have a smooth finish!

They teach you truth is good, then when you tell the truth everyone get's offended!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:54 pm
by Agger (deleted)

If its any help, I can take a photo of my 303 bottle and you could compare the ingredients with your "soft top" cleaner & re-proofer?

They teach you truth is good, then when you tell the truth everyone get's offended!
Aaron Calder likes this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:12 pm
by Randa france | 12.998 Posts

We really must get cracking and do something about ours in the New Year but know nothing about the fabric. However, we just found this link:-
http://eu.sunbrella.com/en_uk/how/cleaning/
which possibly looks very useful. When we talk about the pop top and follow the links, presumably we are talking about "awnings" or are we? There's a very useful pdf. on the awnings page.
Randa

1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Aaron Calder likes this post!
Last edited Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:37 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:17 pm

Quote: Agger wrote in post #3
If its any help, I can take a photo of my 303 bottle and you could compare the ingredients with your "soft top" cleaner & re-proofer?
Thanks, Graham, but it wouldn't really help as there are no ingredients listed on the Renovo Ultraproofer bottle although it does say, "Ideal for boat covers and all canvas, double duck and mohair coverings."

I've emailed Renovo asking for their comments.

Forum Administrator
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:21 pm

Quote: Randa france wrote in post #4
When we talk about the pop top, presumably we are talking about "awnings" or are we? There's a very useful pdf. on the awnings page.Randa
I also found that link but there is no mention of re-proofing, only cleaning. I did, however, find a US site that stated that 303 reproofer is the only product recommended by Sunbrella for use on their fabrics.

I'm talking about the canvas sides to the elevating roof.

Forum Administrator
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:26 pm
by Agger (deleted)

No problem lets hope you get it sorted, now is a good time, but if you do use 303 it takes "ages" to dry and that's in the summer, and I would recommend taking the canvas off, as that way you get to see what your dealing with and you can give it a proper clean you also learn something else about your van the hardest part is starting the slide out of the fabric, this can cause much annoyance and sometimes the utterance of such words as damn! if you do it you will see what I mean!!!!

Best of luck to you and by the sound of it Roger What is it? Admin?

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:30 pm
by Randa france | 12.998 Posts

Zitat
Quote Aaron Calder:- I'm talking about the canvas sides to the elevating roof.

Yes, I realise that but I wasn't sure whether to follow the Marine Link or the Awnings Link on the Sunbrella site, or doesn't it make any difference? (it doesn't have a pop tops link )
Just to be a devil's advocate why can't something like this be used? After all, the pop top doesn't have the same amount of severe whether chucked at it as the roof of a tent or awning.
Randa

1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:33 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:35 pm
by Agger (deleted)

I'm not sure but I thing it's to do with fluocarbons??? (Might be miss spelt😂)

If I told you what I did with ours well the Eriba Police would be blue lighting it my way🚓🚔👮

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:37 pm

Sorry, I misunderstood your comment.

Quote: Randa france wrote in post #8
Just to be a devil's advocate why can't something like this be used? After all, the pop top doesn't have the same amount of severe whether chucked at it as the roof of a tent or awning does.
Randa
My point exactly. What's so special about Sunbrella and 303 re-proofer? After all, if Renovo is good enough to be recommended by Porsche, Bentley, Jaguar, BMW, Aston Martin and Ferrari for use on their soft tops, why shouldn't I use it on an Eriba?

Forum Administrator
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:14 pm

Here's Renovo's reply:

Thank you for your enquiry, we are pleased to hear that you are happy with the Renovo products that you have used on your soft tops.

With regard to your Sunbrella fabric skirt, we are pretty sure that the Ultra Proofer will work very well. We advise you to apply a small amount of Ultra Proofer on an inconspicuous area of the skirt first before applying all over just to be sure. Ultra Proofer is a water based proofer and therefore unlikely to cause any problems with the Sunbrella fabric.

We hope this is helpful for you!

Kind Regards

Customer Service

Forum Administrator
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:21 pm
by Agger (deleted)

Hi Brian, my concern with that is that it's water based? Surely that will just run off

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:47 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.615 Posts

I have used Fabsil on my old Puck and it worked ok, however I believe that the poptop is not canvas but a synthetic material which is why the sunbrella fabric guard 303 is the best waterproofing product for the Eriba.

I have got to do my poptop in spring, just before I put the Familia away I thought I would try and get a mark out of the material with some soap flakes, bad idea it took all the waterproofing out... So I have a 473ml spray bottle of 303 waiting for when the cover comes off.....

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:22 am

Thanks for the comments and advice, guys.

As 303 Fabric Guard is also designed to be used on convertible roofs and appears to give excellent water-beading results judging by video clips I've seen, I might as well give it a go for both purposes.

The only thing that's worrying me at the moment is the recommendation that it be applied on a warm sunny day. That might be a bit difficult to arrange in the foreseeable future.

Forum Administrator

Last edited Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:24 am | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:47 pm
by Deeps (deleted)

Quote: Agger wrote in post #12
Hi Brian, my concern with that is that it's water based? Surely that will just run off

Isn't modern car paint now water based along with many other types?

2013 Triton 430, VW Touran TDI BM
мы прибываем невидимые - we arrive invisible

My You Tube Channel
Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 10 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12603 topics and 106273 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2